Our client is an independent German investment company that invests in SMEs in the DACH region. Founded in Munich, the firm has since successfully launched several funds and currently has more than Euro 2 billion capital under management.
Our client follows an active investment approach and has established a dedicated Operations Team that works closely with portfolio companies on implementing key value creation initiatives. The Operations Team serves as the strategic guide for company executives to develop and implement measures to unlock value in different functions such as sales and marketing, customer operations, supply chain operations, product and technology and organizational development.
The VP Commercial Excellence will work closely with senior executive teams at the client’s portfolio companies as well as with members of the firm’s team to identify topline value creation opportunities, initiate and coordinate implementation, and secure their long-term success. Her or his key tasks will include:
- Develop a portfolio company’s commercial agenda and drive implementation of improvement initiatives
- Identify and frame the most critical opportunities in the areas of Pricing, Sales Management and Marketing that will drive topline growth and unlock margin improvement potential
- Develop pragmatic solutions for action planning and execution
- Provide hands-on support during the execution of multiple projects across the investment portfolio
- Support portfolio companies in building out effective commercial organizations and state-of-the-art capabilities required to implement the commercial agenda.
- Support the professionalization of the client relating to Commercial Excellence
- Develop standardized tools and best practice approaches
- Empower and guide other client team members in delivering value creation through Commercial Excellence initiatives
- Support transactions
- Participate in the deal process, particularly in supporting commercial and operational due diligence workstreams
- Support decision making through development of improvement concepts and business cases
What You Bring With You
- 7-10 years of professional experience, including
- Min. 4 years in leading pricing and sales consulting firm or top-tier consulting firm with focus on pricing and commercial excellence projects (min. Project/Engagement Manager level)
- Additional experience in Commercial Executive role (1st-/2nd level Management) in DACH region growth companies with B2B business models
- Additional experience in a dedicated pricing role (e.g., as a head of pricing) in Mittelstand companies is helpful
- Demonstrated track record in delivering Commercial Excellence value creation projects with a proven positive impact on P+L and other relevant KPIs in the areas of Sales & Marketing
- Comprehensive know-how of state-of-the-art Commercial Excellence concepts and solutions as well as a profound understanding of (digital) tools to implement pricing optimization initiatives within portfolio companies
- Outstanding academic credentials and steady & consistent career progression
- Empathic personality who communicates and connects well with Mittelstand Entrepreneurs and Executives
- Profound management- and leadership skills in sales & marketing environments, particularly in B2B business models
- Results-driven personality committed to making change happen in the portfolio and contribute to continuous improvement of the client’s portfolio management and investment approach
- Willingness to roll up her/his sleeves and help company executives to deliver tangible, measurable results
- Excellent written and oral German & English language skills
- Flexibility and willingness to travel (max. 50%)
- The clients’ headquarters are in Munich. If not working with portfolio companies and not bound to home office due to Corona restrictions, the candidate should regularly work from the Munich office.